Sunday, May 27, 2012

It's as EASY as ABC: Acrobatic Show, Birthday, China's Capital... CK Takes Beijing



Before I begin about Tuesdays adventure, I would like to take a moment to vent about the general attitudes of the parents (including my very own mom and dad). As a student on SAS, I had traveled 9 other countries before China. That being said, an awareness formed in which I had come to terms with the fact that that other countries do things differently than the United States this doesnt make one countrys execution better or worse, they are just different. I eventually (and luckily it was early on in the day) came to the realization that the parents werent trying to get on my nerves, nor were they intentionally being culturally insensitive, but rather they didnt know any better. For me, this awareness blossomed after traveling several countries, thus I needed to be patient with my parents in allowing this transformation to occur.

Tuesday April 3rd
We were off bright and early to conquer the capital of China, Beijing! Beijing is home to 20 million people and the famous sites in Beijing include: Tiananmen Square, The Forbidden City, and finally the Great Wall of China. Additionally, the 2008 summer Olympics took place in Beijing. Let me make a side note that unlike normal circumstances it was the parents complaining about the 8:00 AM departure time, not the kids well would you look at that, SAS really does change a person ;)

Our first stop on our tour de Beijing was Tiananmen Square. Tiananmen Square is the largest square in the world to give you an idea of how big it is it is about equal to putting 24 soccer fields together! The square is best known for the following:
  • Originally the entrance to the imperial palace in the Ming and Qing dynasties
  • In 1949, founding leader Mao Zedong declared the Peoples Republic of China
  • Demonstrations by college aged students in 1989 for political reform and freedom of the press

The cool part about seeing Tiananmen Square is that I felt my history books coming to life over the years I have learned about the square never once dreaming that I would one day walk around, yet here I was in China at Tiananmen Square!

Aside from the Klein family photo opts, the entire group (about 85 of us) stopped in the middle of the square to take a group picture boy do the Americans know how to cause a scene! I felt like we were stars everyone wanted to take the picture of the BIG (not only in numbers, but probably in pounds as well) American group! We even had a few that wanted to get in with the group a lot of my friends get annoyed when people want to take pictures of the big bad Americans, but I on the other hand embrace it honestly, I come storming into all these countries, having no problem taking photos of their culture, it is the least I can do to allow them to snap a photo of me.

Unfortunately, I dont have a copy of the group photo but here is proof that the Kleins did in fact make it to the Square.



Additionally, check out the size of this TV in the middle of the Square puts the Dallas Cowboys Stadiums Big Screen to SHAME!




The Square is situated directly in front of the Forbidden City not surprisingly; this was our next stop on the adventure. The Forbidden City was home to the Emperor, back in the day, one had to be invited to enter the city and once they entered they were never allowed to leave! Ahhh a bit creepy!


While walking through the Forbidden City, we learned about the superstitions of the Chinese culture I always thought my dad was obsessive with his lucky numbers, but it seems the Chinese are just as obsessed perhaps this is where Andy learned it? Ill provide a few of the noteworthy numbers and their meanings:
  • The number 8 is seen as generating wealth. An example of the number 8 in action includes the 2008 Summer Olympics --- Do you think it was a coincidence that the games began on August 8, 2008 at 8:08 PM (well that is a whole bunch of CrAzY 8s!)
  • The number 3 is considered a lucky number in the Chinese culture as well any other number in which 3 is a factor is also considered a lucky number 

As we walked through the Forbidden City, Lisa, our tour guide, pointed to the roofs of the buildings to show us the little dragons sitting on top they are always placed in an odd number arrangement since this is considered to be a lucky number



Another aspect of Chinese culture that we learned about was how to identify the difference between a male and female lion. I shall explain and provide pictures below just incase you ever encounter this question on a game show! Remember, if this contributes to ANY success in your future; please give me a portion of your winnings ;)

A boy lion is always on the left side when walking out of the building and under his left paw is a ball that symbolizes fortunate



On the right side is always the girl lion and under her right paw is a cub! An easy way to remember this is that Girls are always RIGHT so she is on the RIGHT hand side



A few of my friends were on another SAS trip and it just so happened that we ran into them in the Forbidden City let me just tell you that Jilly was beside herself, What are the chances that you would run into your SAS friends here? Oooo the magic of Semester at Sea, poor Jilly doesnt understand that this happens in every country, even if you dont travel with SAS people you still run into them ;)



After a significant amount of time in the Forbidden City, we were back on the bus and off to our next adventure visiting a home of local people in Beijing followed by the Rickshaw ride. The tour of the home is not worth blogging home about as honestly it felt like A HUGE TOURIST TRAP! We all walked away just confused why we spent our time in this home. The rickshaw ride on the other hand was a lot of fun


Almost BIRTHDAY King Andy rides in his Chariot I mean rickshaw
After our Rickshaw adventure we went to a restaurant for lunch followed by touring the Temple of Heaven another one of those must see sights in Beijing You will notice that at this point in my pictures Andy is MIA as he felt it was imperative that he rest up for the next day (his birthday!)


While at the Temple of Heaven we had our very own Tai Chi lesson Tai Chi is a type of internal martial arts that is used for self-defense and also provides health benefits. Obviously this was quite the sight in terms of watching CK and Jilly perform a task that yearns for coordination











After our work-out, we were back on the bus and headed to the Silk Factory. Mom and I enjoyed learning the silk making process, however we didnt care for this stop, as it was certainly one of those tourist traps where they were pouncing on every opportunity to make you purchase something! Oy vey!

At least Patty had fun playing on the silk ;)


Once leaving the silk factory, it was time to impress Jilly with my developing bargaining skills at the Pearl Market. The Pearl Market has just about anything and everything you can imagine loaded with fake purses, backpacks, clothing, jewelry, electronics, and more you name it, they sold it! As my mom and I navigated from one vendor to the next, I showed her the ropes on bargaining I am still shocked that a vendor was trying to charge me $30 for a China magnet and mini flag like a champion, I was able to hassle them down to a mere $2! Let me just tell you, Jilly was more than impressed ;)

Look at our precious Panda hats that I was able to bargain to $1 each



If you would like lessons on how to haggle please contact me remember, your first lesson will be bargaining the price of the class ;)

After the bargaining extravaganza it was time for an authentic Chinese dinner of Peking Duck if you know me by now, you can only imagine how I felt about this meal... lets just say I greatly enjoyed my white rice!

Wednesday April 4th (ANDYS BIRTHDAY)
Andy was in for a treat for his birthday, for he got to be at The Great Wall of China. Had we told him 6 months prior that this would be where he would be spending his birthday, I am fairly certain he would have laughed right in our faces. I guess thats just the way life really is you never know whats going to hit you next! (Dam I am getting profound!)

I cannot even begin to describe to you the beauty of this Wonder of the World (The Great Wall of China) it is truly breathtaking... Our tour guide suggested that everyone take the Gondola ride up to walk around the wall and then if we were adventuresome to take the toboggan down although we were all a bit nervous about what this toboggan ride entailed, we chose to seize the day and make our way to the toboggan! I would say that we walked about 3 miles of the wall (and thats being pretty darn generous in my estimate), yet that is such a miniscule portion as the wall actually goes on for a good 5,500 miles!

Here is a picture of the wall, I know this picture is fantastic, but it still doesnt do justice for the sight one sees when viewing the wall it literally goes on and on and on:



The time flew by and before we knew it, we had to pick up the pace and make it to the toboggan ride I have left you in the dark until this point as I am sure many are wondering what on EARTH is a toboggan? The dictionary definition of a toboggan is: a long narrow sled used for the sport of coasting downhill over snow or ice. It typically is made of a lightweight board that is curved upward and backward at the front it reminded all of us of the bob sledding event that occurs in the Olympics the only difference is that you ride the toboggan alone, not with a team! The line for the toboggan was out the wazoo, but you are only on the Great Wall of China once (well, I actually hope to go again, so maybe thats not entirely true), nevertheless, we chose to wait it out. I am happy to report that the ride was not only worth the wait, but also was a long ride--- we were totally expecting a 5 second ride, but it was a good 6-8 minutes ;)

Here is a picture I snapped of another SAS family that was ahead of us in line:



I will forever remember our time at the Great Wall of China on THE Andrew Louis Kleins birthday as it was truly one of those once in a lifetime daysthe weather, the sight and most of all the travel companions were more than perfect ;)

In the afternoon we visited the Summer Palace, which was a beautiful site, but not worth blogging home about. Lets be serious, I am trying to finish up this blog and if the location didnt move me, I aint writing about it (a clear sign that CK is advancing from a novice blogger to the intermediate stage)

The night on the other hand was fantastic first we drove by the 2008 Olympic Stadium known as the Birds Nest. Some interesting facts about the stadium:
  •  The building took about one and a half years to build (construction began in 2006)
  • The Stadium has 80,000 seats, but the night of the Olympics it had about 91,000 people inside the building!
  • There were 500,000 volunteers to help with the Olympics

After our drive by, we were off to an Acrobat show. I know what you are thinking, isnt that a bit juvenile, how cool can that actually be? Well, let me just say it was OUTSTANDING aside from the sports at the 2008 Olympic games, the Chinese were praised for their opening and closing ceremonies for the dancers were so on beat, not missing a single move--- consider this when thinking about the acrobat show when I say talented people I truly mean it! Below are a few pictures from the show, clearly not even going to do it justice.



Additionally, I found a few youtube videos to give you an idea of the various acts:
Andys birthday ended with some good ol American eating and then a surprise birthday cake in the hotel room smile birthday boy ;)



And in the blink of an eye, we were onto Shanghai it was hard to believe how quickly our time passed in Beijing. Ill wait until my next post on Shanghai to describe our general sentiments about Beijing compared to Shanghai (keeping you on the edge of your seat, I know).

Our guide Lisa concluded our tour with a moving comment that as a world traveler I found to be so special, Once you make friends in another country, remember it is like having family in another country, you are always welcome to come back and visit my country. I hope to spread a similar message when visitors come to the United States.  


Klein family posing with our Beijing tour guide Lisa

One final flushing idea to leave my fans with and that would be the toilets in China. This is one area I have lacked on reporting on in the various ports, but needs special attention in the Asian countries as their idea of a toilet is a bit different than a Western restroom



Your thoughts? If you know Andy, you can only imagine how he reacted to the bathroom situation! Oy vey! Oy vey! Oy Vey!











No comments:

Post a Comment